A home on Sherwood-Anderson Drive in Camden was completely destroyed, Sunday, June 1, in a fire which was sparked by a welding accident in the garage on the property.
From the garage of the home, the fire quickly spread to the surrounding grass area, a field, which was in close proximity to the home, and to the home itself, a scene which Lieutenant Aaron Forrer with the Camden Fire Association described as “intense.”
The property was a total loss to the fire, nothing could be salvaged from the incident.
A man who lived in the home, whose name is not being released, was reportedly welding in his garage when he left the machinery unattended. When he returned, he heard noises consistent with fire spreading, and he realized his garage was on fire, according to Lt. Forrer.
Officials were called to the scene at approximately 7:30 p.m., taking roughly an hour to extinguish the flames. When fire crews from West Elkton-Gratis Township Fire Department, Gratis Fire Department, and Gasper Township Fire Department arrived on scene, the fire was contained to the attic of the house.
The conditions of the surrounding area were dry, said Lt. Forrer, consistent with the dry weather over the weekend. The weather conditions caused the tall grass to act as a medium to allow the fire to travel quickly. Forrer said when crews arrived, the grass was still on fire.
Also consumed by the fire were the family’s three vehicles, all of which were destroyed. It is unclear whether the home is covered by insurance.
Three people occupied the house at the time, all of whom were safe with no reported injuries. Smoke from the scene could reportedly be seen for miles.
House fires in the area are a fairly common occurrence, according to Lt. Forrer, who said roughly five to ten fires occur per year.
Preble County Red Cross volunteer Kevin Johnston said the agency responded to assist the family with food, clothing and baby formula.