The business of cutting and styling hair is a more than $20 billion a year industry. With more than 82,000 beauty salons across the U.S., finding a reliable stylist or beauty salon a cut above the rest can be a challenge. Your Better Business Bureau can help you pick a trustworthy one.
Beauty salons offer many different services. Most offer cuts, styling, coloring, highlights, perms, etc. Full service salons will also offer manicures, pedicures, massages, facials, wax treatments, etc.
Over the last year, your BBB recorded more than 2,000 inquiries locally about beauty salons. Nationally, your BBB received almost 249,000 inquiries and almost 1,500 complaints about this industry.
When choosing a stylist or beauty salon, your BBB offers these tips:
• Get recommendations from friends and family.
• Research and compare. Call several salons and see how the receptionist handles your call. A lot can be said from a receptionist at a reputable beauty salon.
• Ask about appointments. How long in between visits and what is the average waiting time before appointments.
• Book an appointment for a consultation where you can chat about the ideas you have for your hair and what the stylist thinks about them if possible.
• Find out how long the company and/or stylist has been in business.
• Make sure the facility is clean and well-maintained.
• Keep location in mind. Try to find one close to home, work or school. Remember, if you find one you really like, location may not be a deterrent.
• Inquire about beauty salon packages. Many salons offer discounts on package deals for example new clients, students or senior citizens.
• Make sure you feel comfortable with the stylist. Don’t schedule a complete restyle without testing the salon out first. If you don’t like him or her, you’ll be less likely to schedule again.
• Ask the stylist about his or her specialties.
• Make sure salon and stylist are licensed as appropriate.
• Find out if the stylist or beauty salon is a member of an association like the Professional Beauty Association or the Salon & Spa Association.
• Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Remember, a great way to get the style you desire is to bring the stylist a picture of the haircut or style you’d like to achieve. A good stylist will be able to visualize the cut and style to fit you. Also, keep in mind a great salon or stylist may have appointments booked for months ahead of time.
If you have any questions regarding beauty salons, you can always get help from your BBB, such as a list of BBB Accredited beauty salons and Business Reviews on ones you’re considering. For more information, visit www.bbb.org or call 937- 222-5825 or 888-776-5301.
Reach John North, President/CEO of the Better Business Bureau at 937- 222-5825.