EATON — Many older Ohioans love to celebrate Halloween as much or more than young kids and parents. Here are some tips from STEADY U on how to have a scary good time without the slipping and tripping that can lead to a frightening fall.
• Eat a nutritious meal before heading out to parties or trick-or-treating to make sure you have plenty of energy, and avoid blood sugar level spikes, which can cause dizziness.
• Carry a flashlight and watch for uneven sidewalks, curbs, debris, and other tripping hazards.
• Choose a costume that fits well: If it’s too loose, it can cause you to trip; too tight, it can limit your movement.
• Avoid long gowns, capes, and accessories that can snag on objects or wrap around your legs and trip you.
• Use makeup instead of masks that limit your peripheral vision.
• Fabulous footwear might complete your costume, but sensible shoes will be less likely to send you tumbling.
• If you decorate your yard or home for visitors, make sure walkways are free of cords and visitors can’t trip on decorations.
• Battery-powered luminaries and mini-lights can provide extra lighting at foot level without spoiling spooky effects.
• If you’re going for that “big scare,” make sure that area is level and clear to objects to prevent falls when people react.
The Preble County Council on Aging is celebrating Trick or Treat on Tuesday, Oct. 31 from 10 a.m.-noon at the senior activities center with a costume contest is at noon. Stop in and celebrate Halloween with us!
Visit www.steadyu.ohio.gov for more tips and resources to help you and your loved ones prevent falls.
To stay up to date on all of our activities, trips and senior news sign up to receive our bi-monthly newsletter the “Senior Scene.” Membership at the Senior Center is $10 a year. In addition to other benefits, members automatically receive our bi-monthly “Senior Scene” newsletter which features all our latest news and activities, additional benefits are discounts on trips and select activities. Like our Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/preblecountycouncilonaging/ or give us a call at 937-456-4947. Visit our website at www.PrebleSeniorCenter.org.