EATON — The Eaton Board of Education met Monday, Sept 15, and continued discussions about changing the school district’s communications network. The board also voted Joe Renner to be the district’s Treasurer Pro Tempore.
Renner was elected unanimously.
For the second time, the board met with Chris Cameron of Accent Services to continue discussions on integrating the district’s two phone systems into one.
Cameron addressed some of the concerns board members expressed when they previously met. Cameron says his system is designed to interconnect the two existing systems while providing more efficient services between the school system’s buildings.
One of the concerns expressed by the board was the system’s relying on the internet. In order to provide a backup system, Cameron changed some of the parameters of the possible contract.
Cameron informed the board the Accent system can use their fiber optic network installed in in 2001 as a backup to phones services should the internet fail.
Cameron also changed the plan from unlimited calling to a plan that gives the district 20,000 minutes per month. Cameron said studies his company has done revealed the district typically uses somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 minutes a month.
Calls between the district buildings will not be charged as minutes, as they currently are with the district’s current service provider.
The process would take 7-9 weeks if it becomes approved. The district will net a total savings at $515 a month according to Cameron, who said Accent aims for a zero impact set-up period.
The board also recognized the 2014 Eaton Boys track and field team for its SWBL Southwestern Division Championship. Darius Spears, Tyrell David and Michael Watkins came to the meeting to accept their awards.
The board entered a retainer contract with Frost Brown & Todd for $6,500 a month for legal help.
The 8th grade Washington D.C. trip dates have been changed, because of the busing company not having any buses available for the original days scheduled. The new dates for the trip are Sunday, April 24 to Thursday, April 28.
In other business:
• Paula Lemke, Library Aide had her resignation approved. The board hired Amy Fields for the same position.
• The board approved eight first and second year teacher mentors to receive $600 for their services through the year.
• The board approved the Preble County ESC substitutes list.
• The board entered an agreement with the American Red Cross to permit district facilities to be used as temporary refuge for disaster victims.
• The board approved a recommendation to ban drones or UAVS at any sporting event per OHSAA.
• The board held their first reading of the new board of education by-laws.
• The board approved five various donations made to the district.
The next Eaton Board of Education meeting will be Monday, Oct 12 at 6:00 p.m. at Hollingsworth East Elementary.
Reach Austin Schmidt at 937-683-4062 or on Twitter @aschmidt_RH.