Ohio update: additional reopening dates, order signed; ONG members to be investigated


R-H Staff



COLUMBUS — Last week, Governor Mike DeWine, Lt. Governor Jon Husted, and Dr. Amy Acton, provided the following updates.

Additional reopenings

Governor DeWine announced the following sectors are permitted to reopen on June 19: casinos, racinos, amusement parks and water parks.

Governor DeWine also authorized the Memorial Golf Tournament to be held from July 13-19.

“In all of these cases, these sectors have come up with plans that reduce the number of people, provide for sanitation, and in some cases, provide for one-way traffic,” said Governor DeWine. “They are elaborate plans that we believe are consistent with protecting the public.”

Assisted living visitation order

Dr. Acton signed the Third Amended Director’s Order to Limit Access to Ohio’s Nursing Homes and Similar Facilities, with Exceptions.

This order allowed properly prepared assisted living facilities and intermediate care facilities for individuals with developmental disabilities to begin to allow outdoor visitation on June 8. The lifted restrictions do not yet apply to nursing homes.

Ohio National Guard

Governor DeWine announced he has directed Adjutant General John C. Harris Jr. to work with Ohio Department of Public Safety Director Tom Stickrath to set up enhanced procedures to ensure that members of the Ohio National Guard do not have ties to hate groups.

The announcement comes after a member of the Ohio National Guard was removed from a mission in Washington, D.C., after the FBI uncovered information that the individual expressed white supremacist ideology on the internet prior to the assignment.

“While I fully support everyone’s right to free speech, the men and women of our National Guard are sworn to protect all of us, regardless of race, ethnic background, or religion,” said Governor DeWine. “Our Ohio National Guard members are in a position of trust and authority during times of crisis, and anyone who displays malice toward specific groups of Americans has no place serving.”

The Ohio National Guard and Ohio Department of Public Safety are fully cooperating with the FBI investigation. The Guardsman has been suspended from all missions at this time, and following due process, it is highly likely that he will be permanently removed from the Ohio National Guard.

Other reopenings

DeWine also announced the reopening of certain facilities including certain entertainment facilities with health and safety restrictions.

“As I’ve said, Ohioans are able to do two things at once. We can continue to limit the spread of COVID-19 while we safely reopen our economy. It is up to each of us to do what we can to keep each other safe and choose to keep six feet of social distance, wear masks, and maintain good hand hygiene.” said Governor DeWine. “The threat of COVID-19 remains and while it’s our responsibility to keep each other safe, business owners and employees should do their part to ensure customers visit safely, by cleaning and sanitizing surfaces regularly.”

Day camps and residential camps may open at any time. Entertainment venues listed may open beginning Wednesday, June 10, if they are able to follow Retail, Consumer, Service & Entertainment Guidelines and other applicable additional guidance: aquariums, art galleries, country clubs, ice skating rinks, indoor family entertainment centers, indoor sports facilities, laser tag facilities, movie theaters (indoor,) museums,playgrounds (outdoor,) public recreation centers, roller skating rinks, social clubs, trampoline parks and zoos.

Current Ohio data: As of Sunday, June 7, there were 38,476 confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19 in Ohio and 2,377 confirmed and probable COVID-19 deaths. A total of 6,497 people have been hospitalized, including 1,657 admissions to intensive care units. In-depth data can be accessed by visiting coronavirus.ohio.gov. Preble County Public Health reported, as of Friday, June 4, there have been 39 total confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19, 32 of which have reportedly recovered, and six of which are active. The remains one COVID-19-related death in the county.

R-H Staff