EATON — The Preble County Historical Society presented its very first historic plaque to the Jackson Township District Three Schoolhouse on Sunday, Aug. 23.
Carolyn McWhinney and her husband, Norlan, restored the school in the 1980s. Four generations of her family were there to accept the plaque in their honor.
The plaque reads, “This one-room red brick schoolhouse was built in 1868 with the first term beginning in 1869. Schoolhouses served as the first interaction pioneers had with their neighbors on the frontier. They helped established friendships and a sense of community among Preble County residents. The building was restored in the 1980’s by Norlan and Carolyn McWhinney. The schoolhouse now serves as a meeting place for viewing original school furnishings and gazing through the McGuffey Readers.”
Harold Niehaus, board President hosted the event along with Directors Lisa White and Alyssa Stark. Special Speaker Cody Miller talked about the upcoming fall events.
Guests were invited to tour the school and learn just a little more about the history of the school. Visit their website www.preblecountyhistoricalsociety.com for more information.