EATON — Preble County Council on Aging introduced new Preble County Mobility Manager Curt McNew to the Preble County Board of Commissioners during their meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 26.
“It’s my pleasure, I’d like to introduce Curt McNew,” outgoing mobility manager Tim Miller said. “He will be your new mobility manager for Preble County. I’ve had the pleasure to spend the last two and a half weeks with Curt. He has worked for a nonprofit organization out in Iowa doing rural transportation for quite a few years, so I think that he’ll be a plus to Preble County.”
Miller, who is retiring, thanked the board for their support.
“My last day will be Friday, and I just want to say how much I appreciated all three of you,” he said. “You’ve come to some of my transportation meetings…and I do appreciate the support of all of you.”
Commissioner Denise Robertson then thanked Miller for all of his work and wished him a happy retirement.
McNew, who said he has been in the Miami Valley for 20 years on and off, said that his first goal as mobility manager is building awareness.
“I really don’t care if they know what a mobility manager is,” he said. “I’d like the people to know, ‘If I need a ride, who do I call? How do I get a ride somewhere?’ The goal is to help seniors, people with disabilities, people with low income. Obviously, there’s other folks that need rides too, but that’s the main focus.”
He said he is open to any ideas that the commissioners might have.
“Glad to be here,” he said. “I’ve always loved Preble County, I love rural life. The Iowa boy in me, this fits really well with me.”
Also during this meeting, the board authorized payment for landfill construction ($2,870,000.00; $57,240.00).
In other business:
- During their meeting on Monday, Aug. 17, the board signed an agreement with Johnson Controls ($8,756.48) for the Preble County Courthouse fire alarm system.
- During their meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 19, the board authorized payment for building maintenance ($1,087.50) and for Sewer District 6 ($60,323.46; $73.013.84).
- Also during this meeting, the board noted receipt of a letter from the Sheriff concerning the hire of new corrections officer Dustin Zimmer.
- During their meeting on Monday, Aug. 24, the board approved numerous payments and expenditures; authorized payment to children services ($11,067.00; $26,233.10), sheriff ($1,500), commission ($3,600), Family & Children First Council ($13,950.00) and $178,798.35 for an Intimidator 21XP Brush Bandit Chipper.
- The board held an emergency meeting on Thursday, Aug. 26, where they signed an agreement for the deposit of county funds with LCNB National Bank. Commissioner Chris Day was not present.
The Preble County Board of Commissioners meet every Monday and Wednesday at 9 a.m. at the Preble County Courthouse. These meetings are open to the public.
Reach Braden Moles at 937-683-4056 or on Twitter @BradenMoles