EATON — Preble County brought in $12,317,801.67 in revenue in 2020, over $1.2 million above estimates for the year.
Additionally, the county had just $11,586,171.36 in expenditures, significantly less than the estimated $14 million in expenditures for the year.
“Under the expenditures, I estimated we would spend $14 million,” Preble County Auditor Lavon Wright said during her meeting with the Preble County Commissioners on Wednesday, Jan. 6. “I need to commend again, our elected officials definitely did not overspend this year. They held their spending down. We have a difference of $2,473,405.28, so that was great.”
With that, the county added $731,630.31 to the general fund during 2020, beginning the year with a cash balance of $6,038,379.76 and ending the month of December with $6,770,010.07.
Wright also reported that general fund receipts for December 2020 totaled $783,780.93 compared to $1,077,225.29 in expenditures.
Sales tax revenue totaled $539,246.40 from October 2020 sales. Local taxation came in at $48,071.30; charges for services at $83,401.60; interest at $23,232.04; and fines and forfeitures at $2,764.00.
Additionally, Wright reported that the next casino tax will be in mid-January.
Salaries, P.E.R.S. and Medicare expenditures for December were $522,255.75.
Total expenditures included the following: supplies ($41,837.50), health insurance ($89,735.55), contract services ($199,519.96), utilities ($11,480.63), training/travel, advertising/printing and other expenditures ($50,939.83).
Compared to December 2019, general fund receipts for December 2020 were down by $282,232.77 due to advances not yet paid from Sewer District 6 ($237,500.00 from June 3, 2020, and $30,000.00 from Nov. 17, 2020). Expenditures were down by $24,326.46 compared to December 2019.
In other business
The board approved the following resolutions for financial considerations:
- Res. #11-21-193 to authorize the expenditure of $13,879.00 for the purchase of a new bucket for the 963D loader for the landfill.
- Res. #12-21-194 to authorize participation in ODOT cooperative purchasing program.
- Res. #13-21-194 to authorize the Preble County Engineer to execute and file Ohio Public Works Commissioner applications, execute contract agreements, perform all acts and execute all documents necessary for grant applications and agreements.
- Res. #14-21-194 to authorize the Preble County Engineer to execute contacts with ODOT for the LPA program on behalf of the board of Preble County Commissioners.
- Res. #15-21-194 to authorize the Preble County Engineer right of entry as it relates to the protection of highways, bridges and culverts in Preble County for 2021.
- Res. #16-21-194 to authorize the Preble County Engineer to proceed by force account per O.R.C. 5543.19 for the calendar year 2021.
- Res. #17-21-194 for transfer of funds to the Clerk of Courts.
The Preble County Board of Commissioners meets every Monday and Wednesday at the Preble County Courthouse at 9 a.m. These meetings are open to the public.
Reach Braden Moles at 937-683-4056 or on Twitter @BradenMoles