Serving Preble County for 200 years, The Register-Herald is a weekly newspaper dedicated to the Preble County community.
Cornelius VanAusdal, while serving in the Ohio state legislature, began publishing the Eaton Register in 1820. The Eaton Herald was started in 1896 by E.B. Harkrider and his brother as an independent newspaper. In 1902, it was sold to Charles B. Unger, and on March 18, 1918, the Eaton Register and Eaton Herald were consolidated and published as The Register-Herald.
In 1947, Harold Sell and Clarence Oldfather purchased the R-H from Unger and were co-owners and publishers for 25 years. Sell and Oldfather retired and sold the R-H to Brown Publishing Company of Urbana, Ohio on Jan. 1, 1973.
On April 1, 1987, Eaton’s St. Clair Building, which housed the R-H office and presses at the corner of Main and Barron Streets since the early 20th century, was gutted by fire. Since 1988, the paper has been located in the Junction Village Mall on Barron Street, and at Five Points Center (formerly Miller’s Supermarket) on Barron Street.
The Register-Herald office has been located at 532 N. Barron St., Eaton, since December 15, 2015. The R-H is currently a division of AIM Media Midwest. Braden Moles is the Editor of The Register-Herald.
The Register-Herald is published Wednesdays and Saturdays. Our office is temporarily closed to the public. For additional information, call 937-456-5553.