GRATIS — The Gratis Village Council met on Thursday, Dec. 8, and discussed the appointment of a new fiscal officer, EMS and Fire employment, and the possibility of hosting public events in the village for 2023.
Council heard from Robin Richardson during public participation regarding public events held in the village.
“What we want to try to do is bring some of our events back to the village,” Richardson began. “By trying to bring them back, we want to try and bring the community together. We want to start off with possibly something smaller, such as a flea market, food truck and car show type thing. Starting out early summer, something like that.”
Richardson went on to explain, “With the money generated from that, we wanted to put aside part of it for that purpose. But also, to give some of it to the Bicentennial Park for whatever is needed for that.”
Richardson expressed that, by starting small, her hope is to keep the events manageable until more popularity is brought to the village and thereby providing more help in hosting. Richardson mentioned she has already began coordinating with other villages to avoid hosting events on the same day.
Council was favorable to the suggestion, with Mayor Frank Davis remarking, “We’re always open for more activities.” Richardson expressed that she is currently working to arrange dates and advertisements for the event to the rest of the county.
In other business:
• Council approved the resignation of Teresa Spencer, the Clerk of Council and Fiscal Officer for the Village of Gratis, effective Nov. 30, 2022. Spencer has agreed to return to train the new hire in her prior position for the rate of $15 an hour, when council has found a replacement. Council moved to executive session to discuss the potential of council member Kathy Lewis filling the position of fiscal officer, at no compensation, until a permanent replacement is employed.
• Council announced representatives of Rumpke Waste and Recycling will attend the next council meeting, tentatively. This is to discuss several issues regarding trash pick-up expenditures.
• Council approved the reinstatement of Chase Collins to the Gratis EMS, effective Dec. 8, 2022.
• Council accepted the resignation of Jeremy Smith from the Gratis EMS, effective Dec. 8, 2022.
• Council approved the new hires of Corey Eshbaugh and Matt Hamaker to the Gratis Fire Department.
Gratis Village Council meetings are public meetings held on the second and fourth Thursday of the month, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Meetings are held at the Village Administration Office at 404 East Harrison Street in Gratis.
Reach Nathan Hoskins at 937-683-4057.